Re: scroll-bar dithering?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: scroll-bar dithering?
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 22:29:32 +0900 (JST)

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
> > If there's some flakiness about, should emacs force the value to
> > `false', since it looks a lot better?  [it seems bizarre to even bother
> > with a setting of `true' -- the only difference seems to be whether it
> > allocates 3 colors or 2!]
>
> I'd agree.  As a matter of fact, if you search for it in src/xterm.c
> you'll see that the code is already there, commented out.

Hmmm... the xaw3d docs say:

    o Xaw3d pixel allocation doesn't behave well when beNiceToColormap
      is False and the Default Colormap is full.

Since my shiny new XFree86 4.0.1 server doesn't work except in 8
bit-depth mode, I'm finding out all sorts of fun things about colormaps
:-)

In particular, if I have beNiceToColormap==false, and turn on
scroll-bars, the scroll-bar highlights/shadow turn very bizarre colors
(like lime-green).

Obviously the xaw3d code should handle this (the lucid menu code in
emacs nicely dithers in this case), but it apparently doesn't.

So maybe emacs has to look at the colormap situation itself, and decide
whether to turn on beNiceToColormap or not.

-Miles