Re: i18n/gettext?

From: Karl Eichwalder
Subject: Re: i18n/gettext?
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 18:45:51 +0100

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

> The translators didn't see the comments, or didn't understand them,
> and went ahead and translated the strings anyway.

As a translator you'll look at comments when the message is not easy to
translate or when you were bitten often enough.  Yes, I'm a translator.

That's why we (Bruno Haible and friends) are trying to improve xgettext
and msgfmt:

    xgettext must extract from source files only those strings the
    translator is considered to translate.

    msgfmt must learn to perform more checks.  Lately, msgfmt learned to
    check for keyboard accelerators ("_File": one and only one
    underlined character must appear in the translation, too).  I
    already discussed with Bruno to check --help output a little bit
    more.

> That would be a better approach -- i.e. don't let the human
> translators see the strings in the first place.

Yes.

--
address@hidden (work) / address@hidden (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o