Re: Changes in latin-ltx.el

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: Changes in latin-ltx.el
Date: 11 Dec 2001 17:33:03 +0000

 > Sorry, I don't follow: why is this confusing?  If the user has the
 > right font installed, then they will see a correct glyph, which looks
 > similar (or even identical) to the other character's glyph.  How can
 > an identical glyph be confusing?

The glyph is irrelevant, except that a user presented with a choice of
the two from unifont would be none the wiser.  I'm interested in the
characters; I may not even have been able to display them at the time
-- I don't remember.

 > I think it actually could be confusing the way it is now: someone
 > who uses a TeX-like input method will most probably type scientific
 > text, not Hebrew text.  That someone will not expect Hebrew
 > characters in their text instead of mathematical symbols.

I produced the translations, I used them, I got confused.  I'm a
moderately sophisticated _user_.  I already suggested a clear
alternative if anyone cares.  This is a triviality.

 >> If more are useful, they could be added.

 > No, please don't!

Sigh.

 > The TeX-like strings that latin-ltx uses are
 > supposed to produce mathematical symbols, isn't that true?

Says who?