Re: Should invisible imply intangible?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Should invisible imply intangible?
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 12:06:11 -0700 (MST)

    >     I could agree to it but only in the case where the screen
representation
    >     is really empty, so that both cursor positions are displayed in the
same
    >     way.
    >
    > That is the case we are talking about.

    I do not know how to detect that case robustly.

Whenever the text is invisible and does not display an ellipsis.
The value of TEXT_PROP_MEANS_INVISIBLE will tell you whether this
is the case.

    But some texts can have both an image and the invisible property.

Shouldn't that make the image invisible?  The image property should
have no effect when the text is invisible.  (It doesn't matter what
the text wou;d looks like, if you don't see it.)

Is that not what happens now?

      In my experience
    most cases where I encounter invisible text (and where point can easily
    end up inside the invisible text) is with things like outline-minor-mode
    and hs-minor-mode (i.e. text replaced by ellisps), so that's what I consider
    as the most important case to handle.

What you want is right for that case, the case where an ellipsis is
displayed.  I am talking about what to do in the other case, the case
where the text is not replaced by an ellipsis.

    It looks like you have another kind of scenario in mind, but I don't know
    what it looks like.

The scenario is one where message header lines are marked as invisible
using overlays, the goal being to hide them.