Re: Latin-1 non breaking space not highlighted

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Latin-1 non breaking space not highlighted
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 15:59:37 -0600 (MDT)

    I see two possible solutions:

      - hardcode a few more special characters, like ISO8859-x NBSP and a
        few Unicode characters;

For now, I think we should do it that way.

For the longer term, I think we should look at these modes
which change the definition of whitespace, because
I suspect they are kludges.  If there is no good clean way
to do what they are trying to do, perhaps we should make
a good clean way.  Perhaps it is reasonable for them to
make these modified syntax tables but they should use those
syntax tables only inside of specific Lisp code, never leave them
current so that they could affect commands in general.