Re: Latin-1 non breaking space not highlighted

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Latin-1 non breaking space not highlighted
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 08:54:04 +0900 (JST)

>>  It looks like there is a real problem.  I guess we should not simply
>>  change show-trailing-whitespace to use the whitespace syntax class.

> I see two possible solutions:

>   - hardcode a few more special characters, like ISO8859-x NBSP and a
>     few Unicode characters;
> or
>   - use syntax tables for non-ASCII characters only, assuming that no
>     Lisp package does anything weird with their syntax class.

I think show-trailing-whitespace should not be affected by
syntax of characters because what it should concern is a
glyph.  If a glyph of a character is just space, even if the
syntax is `symbol' or whatever else, it should be
highlighted.

So, what we need is a char-table of such characters that are
displayed by white glyph.  In addition to many NBSPs, that
char-table should also contain the following CJK white-space
characters:
 (make-char 'japanese-jisx0208-1978 33 33)
 (make-char 'chinese-gb2312 33 33)
 (make-char 'japanese-jisx0208 33 33)
 (make-char 'korean-ksc5601 33 33)
 (make-char 'chinese-cns11643-1 33 33)