Re: C-l while in menu?

From: Karl Eichwalder
Subject: Re: C-l while in menu?
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:21:28 +0200

> It is not just a matter of serving old users, but also providing the
> efficient facilities of Emacs for new users who want to learn them.

If that's tht goal (and I'm all for it), the key of a PC keyboard
labeled "Alt" pressed in combination with the underlined menu letter
must display the menu.

> Therefore, my decision is that we will not use Meta-letters as menu
> accelerators in Emacs.

That's a no win situation.

> M-f will continue to forward-word by default.

Okay, you say "by default".  Since new users don't know nothing about
forward-word = M-f, you will not hurt them.  I'd appreciate a
configuration option saying "use Alt plus underlined letter to activate
a menu or a menue entry".  Old users can set the option to "M-S".

--
address@hidden (work) / address@hidden (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o