Re: Localization: keyboards and messages (Re: across terminals)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Localization: keyboards and messages (Re: across terminals)
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 18:13:45 +0300

> From: Karl Eichwalder <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 20:06:02 +0200

> > [...], what domains should there be and what parts of Emacs should
> > correspond to them,
>
> Every mode should have its own domain and the rest should go in 'emacs'
> or 'emacs-base'; using gettext tools it is possible to move texts from
> one domain (catalog) to the other easily, in case it is necessary.
>
> > and what interface should specify the language (I think a variable
> > should specify this).
>
> Initialize the language from the environment if the variable isn't set.

The discussion we had about related problems several months ago
unearthed quite a few issues.  I'd expect any design to somehow
address those issues, before practical work begins.

Interested readers can find the discussions I mentioned in the
emacs-devel archives; start here:

  http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/emacs-devel/2001-December/003666.html