Re: new text property

From: Hrvoje Niksic
Subject: Re: new text property
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 13:40:42 +0200

Colin Walters <address@hidden> writes:

> But the only reason many of those variables (e.g.
> `font-lock-maximum-size', `font-lock-maximum-decoration') were added
> is for speed reasons.

Other highlighting mechanims have speed issues as well.  For example,
Gnus prefers not to highlight huge messages because that would take
too long.  If I controled that with `M-x font-lock-mode' (which would
buy me nothing in turns of convenience; Gnus has variables to
fine-tune its highlighting), I would expect things like
`font-lock-maximum-size' to keep working.

Plus, font-lock-maximum-decoration is not only about speed.  Some
people don't *like* too much decoration.