Re: how to find out methods for tramp?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: how to find out methods for tramp?
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:05:52 +0200

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

> The problem is, the only way I could choose one method instead of
> another was to try a whole bunch of methods.  That is the problem and
> is inefficent.

This is bad.  I agree with Eli and Richard that this means that the
manual needs to be fixed.  Thanks a lot for finding this problem.

Can you say which kind of explanation would have helped you to find
the right method quickly?

Maybe the right way to explain it is to start from the user's
situation.  We should get the user to log in to the remote host from
the command line.  The command used there will tell us something
about which methods are applicable.

Then we could tell the user to issue commands like "type mimencode"
and "type uuencode", as you have used.  This will tell us more about
the applicable methods.

Another thing to say is that people should start with inline methods
and try to get that working first.  If the inline method works but
turns out to be too slow, they can still work on getting an
out-of-band method to work.

kai
--
People mountain, people sea, today no see, tomorrow see.  (from Chinese)