Re: how to find out methods for tramp?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: how to find out methods for tramp?
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 12:58:47 -0400

> Ah, the sm1 and sm2 methods invoke ssh1 and ssh2, respectively.  Hm.
> So maybe we need variants which do "ssh -1" and "ssh -2",
> respectively.  What should their names be?
>
> Maybe the methods invoking ssh1 or ssh2 instead of ssh can be deleted
> now that ssh1 is getting really old?

They should definitely be removed.  AFAIK ssh1 and ssh2 were only used
with SSH2 (the program that started the SSH2 protocol but which was
not free software or even open source) because it did not support
the SSH1 protocol directly (so as to force people to switch to SSH2
more quickly, although this impression might just be the result of
my paranoia).
OpenSSH never needed any such thing because it started with SSH1 support
and added SSH2 later on in a fully backward compatible way, using the
-1 and -2 arguments.

        Stefan