Re: Integrate Tramp

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Integrate Tramp
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 03:40:44 -0600 (MDT)

    If the default connection method for unknown hosts was 'ftp,
    ange-ftp would work as today; it could also be the fall-back
    for 'detect if none of the tramp methods work.

That sounds good.  I have one question, though: how long does it take
to test the various tramp methods?  I could imagine that if they involve
trying to open network connections it could take many seconds or even minutes
to test them.  Can you tell us a definitive answer?