Re: address@hidden: modeline doesn't divulge buffer will go bye bye]

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: address@hidden: modeline doesn't divulge buffer will go bye bye]
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 20:37:37 +0000 (UTC)

>         The most important thing, the fact that this buffer will go
>         bye bye without a trace is not mentioned there!

address@hidden is persuading me that this is a non-issue.

    ... most non-file buffer names created automatically by various
    packages start (and end) with an asterisk.  So for such buffers,
    there typically already is a visible difference in the mode-line.

    The problem is with buffers which the user creates explicitly. ...

Do people often create buffers when they mean to create files?  I
don't know.  But I don't think people make the mistake very often.

As RMS says:

    ... But the problem (if it is a problem) is with users who don't
    understand the difference.  In order to teach people to look for a
    small indicator of the difference, we need to first teach them the
    difference.

I agree.  My suggestion, a small indicator, is no good.

Maybe this really is not a problem.  Let's see what others say.  The
best move may be to do nothing.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises             http://www.rattlesnake.com