Re: No calc in pretest?

From: Jon Cast
Subject: Re: No calc in pretest?
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 16:15:55 -0500

Stefan Monnier <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> wrote:
> > > That when it was decided that 21.3 would also be a bugfix
> > > release, several :version and make-obsolete statements had to be
> > > updated to say "21.4" instead of "21.3".  A quick grep shows
> > > that not all of the occurrences have been updated yet.

> > You do realize this cannot happen with either my scheme or yours,
> > right?  So it has nothing to do with which scheme is adopted.

> I understand that my scheme is AA.BB while yours is A.A.BB.  The use
> of BB as the "bugfix" indicator is common to both proposals and
> that's the one I mostly care about.

I'm confused: if you `mostly care about' BB, why spend so much time
arguing with Miles and me?

> If people prefer using CC.AA.BB, that's fine by me, but as far as
> I'm concerned the distinction between major and really-major
> releases is too fuzzy to be worth the trouble.

What trouble?  The trouble of converting to a three-element system
(i.e., using fully general lexical ordering rather than un-rolling the
loops), or the trouble of changing things if what we thought was x.y
turns out to be (x+1).1?  Nobody's asking you to take any trouble
about the first case, and I doubt the second case will be important
enough to bother you.

> All I care about is that each CVS branch have its own "major" number
> so it is independent from the others.  Whether those numbers look
> like AA or A.A (i.e. "22" or "22.2") is not really important to me
> and (I believe) in general.

This is something I've never understood: why do people who don't care
about the answer spend so much time on the question?  Why not just let
those who do care decide?

> Since I find it unimportant, I don't think it's worth the trouble
> (since it would be a change that requires hacking).

This change should require 0 trouble to you, since no one's asking
anything of you.  I'll do all the work to set it up, and I don't think
any further work will be required.  How can it not be worth that to
you?

>       Stefan

Jon Cast