Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..

From: Edward O'Connor
Subject: Re: [CVS] f7, f8 bound..
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 13:42:38 -0500

> > Note that where the old (and still available) bindings use
> > separate commands for ending and calling a keyboard macro, the
> > new bindings merges the ending and calling onto the same key.
> > So kmacro just needs two [function] keys rather than three.
>
> I think the merging of `end-kmacro-definition' and
> `execute-kmacro' is clever and useful.

I agree, but why not go one step further, and merge macro starting
in as well? For quite a long time, I've had the following defun in
my .emacs:

(defun ted-macro-dwim (arg)
  "DWIM keyboard macro recording and executing."
  (interactive "P")
  (if defining-kbd-macro
      (end-kbd-macro arg)
    (if last-kbd-macro
        (call-last-kbd-macro arg)
      (start-kbd-macro arg))))

Try binding that to F9 or C-x e or whatever. The functionality is
trivial, and the defun less than 10 lines. I wouldn't object in
the slightest to this being included with Emacs. I find it nice to
have a binding to clear out the value of `last-kbd-macro' too.

--
Edward O'Connor
address@hidden