Re: Bugs caused by recent use of define-derived-mode

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Bugs caused by recent use of define-derived-mode
Date: 06 Sep 2002 10:26:28 +0900

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> > This is an improvement over inheritance, but we still face the
> > question of how the user should control which table to use for a newly
> > defined abbrev.
>
> Suggestion: by default, the commands use the "most local" abbrev
> table.  There is a command that changes the abbrev table for C-x a l
> and C-x a i l to use.

I think that would work, as long as modes only created their own
abbrev-table when the mode is clearly `unique enough' (compared to the
mode it's derived from) that most users would want to put abbrevs in the
derived-mode's table.  [with a :keyword command to define-derived-mode
to control whether a new abbrev table is made or not, this should be
simple for mode-authors]

E.g., probably `mail-mode' should have its own abbrev table, but
`paragraph-indent-text-mode' should not.

I suppose the question is, what should be the default behavior of
define-derived-mode -- to use the parents, or inherit?

-Miles
--
80% of success is just showing up.  --Woody Allen