Re: Files in wrong subdirs of emacs/lisp?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Files in wrong subdirs of emacs/lisp?
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 19:19:06 -0400

    Still, foldout contains "folding extensions for outline-mode and
    outline-minor-mode". If foldout is not just for text, perhaps outline.el
    isn't either.

When I wrote outline.el, I thought of it as specifically for text.
And I think it is only used for text (though I could be wrong).
Perhaps foldout.el extends it to be useful for other things.
I am not sure what foldout actually does; I never used it.

    re-builder.el, for example, is only vaguely related to supporting Emacs
    Lisp. I use it often, but never on anything related to developing or
    maintaning elisp, but as a sort of incremental occur...

Its main intended use is for maintaining the complex regexps in Lisp
programs, so it belongs in emacs-lisp.

    > It could be that some other files belong in emacs-lisp which are not
    > there.  Perhaps subr.el.  Any others?

    Likely candidates IMO:

     byte-run
     derived
     float-sup (if not obsoleted)
     map-ynp
     regi
     timer
     warnings

I agree about moving all of these to emacs-lisp.

     time-stamp ?

I don't think that has any specific relationship to editing programs,
so it doesn't belong in progmodes.

     skeleton

Is that specifically for editing programs, or is it for editing
all sorts of things?  I don't know; I never used it.

     which-func

That does seem to fit in progmodes.

    For textmodes:

      enriched

Yes.

I can't understand the doc strings in regi.el; I don't know
what job that file does.  I will ask Barry Warsaw to
write some sort of overview for it.