Re: Files in wrong subdirs of emacs/lisp?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Files in wrong subdirs of emacs/lisp?
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 14:55:44 +0200

On Fri, 23 May 2003 08:05:40 -0400
Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> outline.el is intended specificlally for
> text, but I think allout and foldout are not specifically for text.  I
> think I have seen foldout used in Lisp programs.

Still, foldout contains "folding extensions for outline-mode and
outline-minor-mode". If foldout is not just for text, perhaps outline.el
isn't either.

> It is less well defined than the others, but these all have a
> relationship to supporting Emacs Lisp.  What you have pointed at is
> that there are different kinds of support.

re-builder.el, for example, is only vaguely related to supporting Emacs
Lisp. I use it often, but never on anything related to developing or
maintaning elisp, but as a sort of incremental occur...

> It could be that some other files belong in emacs-lisp which are not
> there.  Perhaps subr.el.  Any others?

Likely candidates IMO:

 byte-run
 derived
 float-sup (if not obsoleted)
 map-ynp
 regi
 timer
 warnings

For progmodes/, if it's deemed to contain not only programming language
*modes* but also programming language tools (as suggested by cwarn,
cmacexp, compile, cpp, ebrowse, etags, glasses, hideif, hideshow and
mantemp):

 time-stamp ?
 skeleton
 which-func