Re: Files in wrong subdirs of emacs/lisp?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Files in wrong subdirs of emacs/lisp?
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 10:28:01 +0200

On Wed, 21 May 2003 11:31:00 -0400
Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> That isn't enough files to be a good subdir.

That's 18 files, more or less. Certainly less than gnus' whopping 151
non-.elc files, but more than mh-e/ (15) or obsolete/ (16) :)

> We don't want to accumulate lots of small subdirectories.

It's your call, of course. I personaly would prefer (small or large)
subdirectories rather than having 288 non-.elc files in lisp/.

> That one may be big enough, but the description of the category
> doesn't seem coherent--I don't see that things really fit together.
> It seems to be a number of different categories, not really a single
> one.

Yes, I agree. That's why I had never proposed it.

Still, current structure isn't that coherent either.

For example, textmodes/ leaves out allout.el and foldout.el even if it
has outline.el. And includes artist.el, picture.el and page-ext.el, that
don't seem to much "textmode" related to me (no connection with nroff,
ispell, makeinfo, fill, et al).

emacs-lisp/ doesn't seem too coherent either. It seems to try to be:

 - for emacs-lisp implementation: assoc.el, backquote.el, byte-opt.el,
   bytecomp.el, cl-*.el, cust-print.el, float.el, ring.el.

 - for compatibility: levents.el, lmenu.el, lselect.el, lucid.el.

 - for relatively low-level lisp mechanisms: advice.el, debug.el,
   disass.el, edebug.el, elp.el, helper.el, syntax.el.

 - for emacs-lisp developers: copyright.el, benchmark.el, bindat.el,
   checkdoc.el, copyright.el, crm.el, easy-mmode.el, easymenu.el,
   eldoc.el, elint.el, ewoc.el, find-func.el, find-gc.el, lisp-mnt.el,
   lisp-mode.el, lisp.el, pp.el, regexp-opt.el, tq.el, trace.el,
   unsafep.el.

 - for Emacs maintaining: authors.el, autoload.el, gulp.el, shadow.el.

 - other: re-builder.el, rx.el, sregex.el, testcover*.el.

I fail to see what would make bytecomp.el, benchmark.el, authors.el and
re-builder.el to be on the same directory :)

                                                                Juanma