Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Will default key bindings spell the death of Emacs?
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 15:52:08 -0400

    Good point.  We could change those messages to take key-translation-map
    into account, but it would probably be wrong (because of other uses of
    key-translation-map where it shouldn't happen).

Could you describe the two scenarios more precisely?
In which case should the messages be changed?
What is the case you are concerned about not changing them?

    So we'd need to add a new key-remapping layer, after key-translation-map
    and before the actual key-lookup.

Please don't do this.  It is not worth putting a lot of effort into
making it somewhat easier to do radical changes in the Emacs command
set.  The users for that would be a tiny minority of Emacs users,
and there are many areas (see etc/TODO) where we could spend the same
effort and provide far more important features.