Re: windows-1251 language environment

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: windows-1251 language environment
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:45:48 +0100

Anton Zinoviev <address@hidden> writes:

> Bulgarians use two completely different keyboard layouts.

> CP1251 is not similar to the others CP???? coding systems because it
> is used extensively for several languages in the GNU systems.

I don't understand this.  As far as I know, the only significant
difference between that and the other 125N charsets is that 1251 is
used by the two GNU locales.  Presumably the others are widely used
for the languages they support.

> The generic language environment for CP1251 should have a generic
> input method (rather than Russian).

I'm still unconvinced that there should be such a _language_
environment.

> The TUTORIAL should not be presented in Russian as many people
> outside the former SU do not know Russian.

Actually, the environments named after a charset don't have tutorials.
I think the tutorial is currently the only thing language-specific in
language environments unless you count input methods which only make
sense in specific languages.

> The mails sent in this environment should not be encoded in koi8-r.

I'm surprised that might happen if you prefer a different coding
system, but I only know how Gnus Message mode works in detail.  [I
don't know why there are a separate Message and Sendmail modes...]

Actually, how mail should be encoded isn't always clear cut.  For
instance, if you are replying to koi8-r mail, you could argue the
reply should be in koi8-r even if you have preferred a different
Cyrillic charset generally.

By the way, I think the Bulgarian tutorial should be encoded in
windows-1251.  Only non-Bulgarians commented (negatively) on that as
far as I know.