Re: windows-1251 language environment

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: windows-1251 language environment
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:38:59 +0100

Anton Zinoviev <address@hidden> writes:

> You don't have to use CP1252 because you can use ISO 8859-1.

Please don't tell me what charsets I need.  I've provided support for
the ones you need -- with considerable opposition -- and I've fought
for people to be able to use which charsets they want/need.

> This is another demonstration of the problems that non-Latin users
> have.

I'm sorry, I don't understand the problem, and particularly why you're
saying this to me.  It sounds as though you're confusing me with the
Russian-speaking maintainer who has long opposed providing the proper
windows-125[12] repertoire.  There is rather extensive support for
Cyrillic and other non-Latin scripts in Emacs.  The multilingual
features actually come from Japan.  Obviously there is room for
improvement, but not by considering particular scripts or character
sets as special cases.