Re: Info enhancements

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Info enhancements
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 11:43:48 +0200

> From: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 01:52:01 +0200
>
> This is due to the limitation of the function `Info-follow-reference'.
> It don't follow a reference under point, but instead it searches the
> first occurrence of reference name from the buffer beginning.

IIRC, the stand-alone Info reader was fixed to prefer the reference
at point, if there is one, and otherwise try the reference that is
closest to point.

> So currently no references with the same name are allowed in the same
> Info node.

If that is so (I'm surprised that it is, btw), it's IMHO a grave bug
in the Emacs Info reader: there are quite a few manuals out there
which do have several references to the same node.  The stand-alone
reader doesn't have this limitation.

> But we can remove such limitation by
> adding a new argument `nodename' to the `Info-follow-reference'.

Please don't.  Let's not introduce yet another haphazard change into
the Info format.  As the case of the stand-alone reader shows, this
limitation can be lifted without any changes to the Info format per
se.