Re: address@hidden: Re: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: Re: emacs/src

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: [Savannah-hackers] address@hidden: Re: emacs/src/regex.c]]
Date: 27 Dec 2003 22:58:14 +0100

Rudy Gevaert <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 26, 2003 at 11:13:45PM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
>
> > 1. Do something to prohibit commits to these two files, in Emacs.
> >
> > 2. Have a cron job which copies the master files from gnulib to Emacs
> > once per hour.
>
> > Rudy, can this be done?
>
> I can do (2), but have no idea how (1) can be done (maybe setting
> group writer permissions off?)
>
> Just ack and I'll do (2)

Can you please copy the files as is for now (asap), so we can have a
fully functional emacs repository.  We can then find the proper way to
syncronize the files later.

As it has been pointed out by several people, the version of regex
that we use in emacs is not really the "official" gnulib version, and
by looking at the cvs log from the last 4-5 years, it seems to me that
every change to regex.c is done by someone involved in emacs development.

I wonder if there are other projects which actually uses that version
of regex; if there are none, or if emacs is really the only major
project using it, I think it makes more sense to maintain it in the
emacs project, and not in the gnulib project where it currently
resides.  Does anybody know what other projects use it?