Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Documentation for "Clone Buffers" (corrected version)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:59:34 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: 18 Mar 2004 13:53:17 -0500
>
> IIRC, Emacs's Info reader already allows the `dir' file to contain several
> nodes, just like any other Info package.

That would not solve the problem at hand, since the reader looks for
the command-line argument in the DIR _node_, not in DIR the file.

> Another alternative is to have Info do an index search on some of the
> entries if nothing was found in the `dir' file.

We could try that, but I'm not sure it will do what users want to be
done.  Index entries normally include many items that have no relation
to function names; about the only exception to this rule is a library
reference, and even then it's only true for the function index (what
about concept and other indices?).

> BTW, why does `info FOO BAR' only look for BAR in the menu of FOO instead
> of (or additionally to) looking for it in the Index?

The actual feature is more general.  If you say

           info PACKAGE FOO BAR BAZ

then the reader looks for FOO in PACKAGE's top-level menu, then for
BAR in the node pointed to by FOO, then for BAZ in the node pointed by
BAR, etc.  In other words, if you know the menu path to the node, you
can get to it like that without knowing the node names.  For a typical
libc, "info libc index strcpy" will show the section taht describes
strcpy (as will probably "info -n strcpy", but for the latter you need
to be sure the node is called "strcpy", not something like "string
functions").