Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 15:53:15 +0100

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 19:07:52 -0500, Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:

> I intensely dislike this sort of `ah modes can just rebind the key' way of
> avoiding a level of indirection, because often I use different global
> bindings that normal

<snip>

> A good example is `fill-paragraph-function': I _love_ this, because I use a
> non-standard binding for `fill-paragaraph';

I'm on your camp here regarding having explicit levels of indirection.

Still, I don't find your example compelling at all, because the given
examples are not equivalent. I can imagine a (more or less) all-purpose
`fill-paragraph', but it's less easy to imagine an all-purpose
`done-editing-now-do-it' (which, in the thread, has been shown as
standing for: compile, send message, commit change to VC, exit recursive
edit...).

In fact, I'm not convinced by the idea of generalizing C-c C-c, because
the two use cases, as pointed out before, are quite different in my view:
"done for now, so do external action and come back" (compile), and "done
for good, so do what you've got to do and let's get outta here"
(log-edit-done, for example).

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u