Re: lisp/url/url-https.el

From: Mario Lang
Subject: Re: lisp/url/url-https.el
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:47:45 +0200

>     If you set ESHELL=ssh, you can use M-x shell (and comint) run a
>     crypto-enabled application?
>
>     So do we also have to remove shell.el and comint.el ?
>
> Proposing absurd extremes is a distraction.
> It could be fun.  Unfortunately I don't have time to
> indulge that pleasure.

I don't see the absurdity of the OP's message.  After all, ssh
is indeed a program for performing encryption (among other things), and
Emacs does support its use through externally invoking the binary.

The same thing applies to gnutls/openssl.  I think if we are already
discussiong legal implications, we should think about this
case too.

I think Kim was actually trying to emphasis the absurdity
of removing ssl support code from Emacs in the first place, since that
does not do any encryption at all, directly.
The same thing applies to Tramp and comint.el.  They allow for
external programs to be used to encrypt network traffic, but they
do not do any encryption at all by themselves.

--
CYa,