Re: next-error-last-buffer

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: next-error-last-buffer
Date: 10 May 2004 22:19:59 -0400

>> If you switch to another source buffer that was last reached
>> through C-x ` from a compilation error, then C-x ` will get the
>> next compilation error, rather than the next occurrence.
>> At least, it sounds like your change would have that result.

> Exactly.  This is the most expected behavior, because the user
> associates the buffer visited through C-x ` with the compilation
> buffer from which it was visited, and will expect that next-error
> will show next compilation errors in the same source buffer.

No: I do M-x compile, visit a few error in xdisp.c.
Then an hour later, I do M-x grep, follow a hit, do a M-. which brings me
to xdisp.c, then try C-x ` to get to the next hit and !bang! I'm brought
to the next error in the compilation I completely forgot about.
The main problem with your approach is that its memory lasts too long.

        Stefan