Re: Checkout of Emacs CVS through firewall

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Checkout of Emacs CVS through firewall
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:03:42 +0200

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:33:57 +0900
Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:

> There are pretty likely to be some problems if you build-in-place, as I
> never do that (and apparently other arch users are the same).

Well, I've opted now to have a build directory, rsync'ed from the copy I
update from your system.  I don't mind the disk space and I think I'll
probably avoid a lot of trouble.

> Looking at your list, all the duplicate ids starting with "i_" are due
> to that; I'll see what I can do to fix those (part of the problem is
> that autoconf doesn't have a useful "strip this comment in the generated
> file" syntax).

Yeah, nt/configure.bat has no way to do that either.  I'd be necessary
to require yet another tool, like sed or perl, and That's Not Good.

> The rest of the problems (unknown directories "bin", "data", "lock",
> "site-lisp"; directory "etc/icons" apparently a copy of "nt/icons") seem
> to suggest you're also _installing_ into the source tree.  That's just
> brain-dead, don't do that (does the windows makefile advocate this?!?)

No, it doesn't advocate it, and neither does forbid it.  I know some
projects (like GCC) advise against building in place, but I've never
heard such a thing wrt Emacs, and in fact I do it all the time with no
ill effects. "cvs update" just shows there are a few "unknown" (i.e., "?")
directories and files, and that's all.

> -- there's only so much that can be done if you insist on crapping all
> over the source tree.

It seems wise to work *with* the tool and not *against* it, so from now
on I won't do inplace builds on Arch-controled copies :)

Thanks,

                                                                Juanma