Re: Bug tracking

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Bug tracking
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 01:03:16 +0200

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 17:49:32 -0400, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> I will not agree to use of a system that is hard for me to access, so
> we simply can't use the systems you have in mind.

I don't have specific systems in mind.  I've seen one or two that could
be useful (Mantis, for example), because they seem easy.  But I'm not
married to any one answer.

> The number of issues we want to record should not be as much as 50.

You and I are talking about different things.  I brought this up with
regards to issues unfinished, from a release POV.  I'm not sure what you
include in that category: documentation to write, unfinished features,
etc.  But I certainly include in it bug reports, so I cannot put a limit
on "the issues I want to record" of 50 or 100 or any other number.

> The purpose of this database is to keep track of jobs that need to be
> done, for the release.  We don't need statistics.  They all will
> need to be done.

[...]

> We can put the past issues into a DONE file in case anyone wants to
> look back at them.
>
> I don't know what you mean by "rejected" issues.  If we don't believe
> a job needs to be done for the release, we won't ever put it in this
> file.

I was talking about rejected bug reports, of course.  The ones that are
determined not to be a bug after all.

> Perhaps you are envisioning a bug tracking system.  That's not what
> this we're trying to do here.

Richard, excuse me, but till three days ago, no one was "trying to do"
anything on this matter (in general; of course each one of us has their
particular TODO).  What you now want to do is clear, and what I'm
interested in doing is too, and they aren't the same thing.  I accept
the decision, as you said; i.e., if you create an etc/ISSUES and put in
it things to do, I'll use it.  But this has *nothing* to do with having
or not having a bug/issue tracker.  You're talking of a planner of sorts.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u