Re: small Eshell docfix

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: small Eshell docfix
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 21:55:04 +0300

> From: Alex Schroeder <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:29:50 +0200
>
> "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > if you want to have OS-specific defaults for a character...
>
> I lost track a bit.  Who's for OS-specific defaults?

I don't know (and don't care much ;-).

I understood that Richard decided that using `\' was the best solution
to whatever problem started this thread.  To that someone said that on
Windows, users cannot be expected to use `\'.  Someone else then said
that there are no aliases on Windows and no character to disable alias
substitution.  My message was the response to that last claim: there
_are_ aliases on Windows (through `doskey'), and the characters I
suggested disable alias expansion in that case.

I wrote that to give people who are discussing the matter information,
not to express my views on whether it is a good idea to use an
OS-specific character in this specific case.

> I believe that OS-specific defaults are doing eshell users a
> disservice.

I agree that, in general, OS-specific defaults should be avoided, but
Emacs does have them here and there.