Re: Some findings and suggestion about Emacs on w32

From: Guy Gascoigne - Piggford
Subject: Re: Some findings and suggestion about Emacs on w32
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 11:50:13 -0700

Whilst *I* like the idea of always having the server running, I don't know enough here to know if this is actually a good general purpose solution or not.

As for starting it the first time that emacsclient is run, how to you propose doing this? Since emacsclient needs the server to be running to communicate with emacs, how can it instruct emacs to start the server when it has no mechanism to communicate over?

Guy

Lennart Borgman wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kim F. Storm" <address@hidden>

: > Is emacsserver started automatically or does the user have to start
: > emacsserver from .emacs (or another init file)?
:
: You must start the server with (server-start) in .emacs.

Thanks. Is not this a bit fragile? One of the problems I had in the
beginning when I started to use Emacs was errors in startup files that
prevented gnuserv from starting. That made it a bit more difficult to fix
the problems than it should have been.

Is there any reason that emacsserver is not started automatically when
called by emacsclient? If you call with the client you probably want the
server to connect to the server, or? There could still be possibilities for
options when starting the server. A lisp file in site-lisp could for example
be called.

I just made a slight rewrite of gnuclient to test such a solution and I
found it hard to see any drawbacks with it. But our total creativity is of
course much bigger ;-)

- Lennart