Re: DJGPP only dumps with USE_LISP_UNION_TYPE ??

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: DJGPP only dumps with USE_LISP_UNION_TYPE ??
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 09:12:30 +0100

I checked the assembler output from gcc and it seems OK, the .comm
directives for s1 to 4 are the same as for GNU/Linux.

Of course!  __align__ works in DJGPP, I tested it when LSB tags were
introduced.

So either the assembler or linker is doing something bad.

They don't: DECL_ALIGN works on platforms other than XP.

I was thinking that maybe they did some runtime test that resulted in different behaviour between 98 and XP.

DJGPP also runs something called stubify after the linker, I don't
know what it does, but it could also be responsible.

It isn't.  stubify simply prepends a small 2KB stub to the otherwise
COFF executable, since DOS and Windows don't know how to run COFF
images.  The stub is a DOS program that, when invoked, loads the COFF
image into memory, switches the CPU into 32-bit protected mode, and
then passes control to the entry point of the COFF image.

The OS is also involved here, since the alignment of the program
sections matters, and DPMI has its own ideas about that.

Sounds like a comlicated setup, all I wanted to do was to make sure my modifications compiled for all ports of Emacs :-) Well, I'm glad that you seem to have an idea about where the problem is.

        Jan D.