Re: completing-read case problem

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: completing-read case problem
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:07:29 -0600 (CST)

Markus Rost wrote (in response to Stefan Monnier):

   > > With input "ABC" it returns "ABC", which I think is incorrect -- at
   > > least it may lead to surprises in programs which assume that the
   > > output of completing-read is always an exact member of TABLE,
   > > restricted by PREDICATE.
   >
   > Yes, we pretty much agreed to that in an earlier discussion this year.
   > Nobody has stepped forward with a patch for it, tho.

   I guess you mean the discussion started with
   <URL:http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2003-12/msg00459.html>.

I do not know whether that was what Stefan was referring to, but if I
remember correctly, that thread was concerned with certain bugs
concerning case that occurred for hash tables and obarrays, but not
for lists.

The bug there was that completion-ignore-case was ignored for hash
tables and obarrays.  It concerned finding a match when there was
none and not finding one when there was one.  I did install a fix for
that problem.

I did not follow this thread in detail, but I believe that what you
are complaining about is the _case of the returned result_ if there is
a match and the search is case insensitive.  I do not believe that
there still are problems with finding out correctly whether or not
there is a match.  (Unless I misunderstood.)

Sincerely,

Luc.