Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/faces.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/faces.el
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 17:15:31 -0500

    >Ok, I can see that that could be useful.  But implementing it
    >by setting up a default display table is a kludge.  The right way
    >is to change the code that implements the standard display conventions,
    >to make it use the desired face when it generates these glyphs.

    A lot of things in Emacs have default faces on by default. Why should
    these strange multiglyph characters not also?

I'm not talking about WHETHER to do it; I've agreed to that
(although I think the face used needs to be changed).

I'm talking about HOW to implement this.  I don't like the idea
of implementing it by having a display table all the time.
It ought to be implemented in the code that generates the ^ and \
characters.

I reimplemented it in the way I think is cleaner.
I also turned off use of this for ellipses, and changed the face
definition to be less loud.