Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/faces.el

From: Daniel Pfeiffer
Subject: Re: [Emacs-trunk-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/faces.el
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 10:19:37 +0100

Richard Stallman schrieb:

   >Ok, I can see that that could be useful.  But implementing it
   >by setting up a default display table is a kludge.  The right way
   >is to change the code that implements the standard display conventions,
   >to make it use the desired face when it generates these glyphs.

A lot of things in Emacs have default faces on by default. Why should these strange multiglyph characters not also?

I'm not talking about WHETHER to do it; I've agreed to that
(although I think the face used needs to be changed).

I'm talking about HOW to implement this.  I don't like the idea
of implementing it by having a display table all the time.
It ought to be implemented in the code that generates the ^ and \
characters.
I don't understand the point of having a mechanism, if it's not supposed to used. But, well, it's your choice...

I reimplemented it in the way I think is cleaner.
I also turned off use of this for ellipses, and changed the face
definition to be less loud.

What have you done to this??? Kim had such pains to get it working right and now it's all broken again! For one thing setting a that foreground is hardly visible, but that can be customized, so it's ok. Alas they no longer combine with other faces, such as selection, which is a giant step backwards.

For another you make all parts of the glyph the same, instead of just the escape, such that they become hard to tell apart. This also runs counter to the new name of the face.

And you forgot sticky space and soft hyphen, which now again look identical to their non-special counterparts. As for ellipses, there should at least be a simple option. I hate it, when some wizardry can't be told apart at first sight.

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

--
lerne / learn / apprends / lär dig / ucz się    Esperanto:
                             http://lernu.net/