Re: ispell-region with M-$ in transient-mark-mode

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: ispell-region with M-$ in transient-mark-mode
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:44:11 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>
>> Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> What is wrong with `C-x C-u'?  The region case commands are not used
>>> that often that two keystrokes is too much.
>>
>> Because they are not used very often, it is hard to remember two
>> different bindings for upcase.
>>
>> M-u in a region would mean "upcase every word in the region".
>>
>> M-$ in a region would mean "ispell every word in the region".
>>
>> That is simple and intuitive (IMO), at least with
>> transient-mark-mode.
>
> I am not so sure about that.  It is simple and intuitive if you have
> _temporary_ transient-mark-mode enabled, possibly by using the mouse.
> In this case we have an explicit act that set up the region.  However,
> for people that use pc-selection-mode or just transient-mark-mode,
> there often is an _unintended_ transient region.  I am not so sure
> that it is intuitive in that case if it affects the word commands.
>
> Now I am of the opinion that _permanent_ transient-mark-mode and its
> cousins are an abomination in user interface design if I ever saw one.
> But they are something we _also_ need to think of when saying
> something like "at least with transient-mark-mode".
>
> With _temporary_ transient-mark-mode, I share your opinion.  But not
> with the permanent one.

I use CUA which turns on transient-mark-mode permanently, but I never
have an "unintended" transient region as you say.

Since I really haven't used transient-mark-mode without CUA for a very
long time, I may very well have an incomplete idea of how "plain
transient-mark-mode" behaves, so you may very well be right that
just letting this depend on transient-mark-mode would be bad.

I guess the CUA way is different from plain transient-mark-mode, as
CUA normally deactivates the mark unless you really want to have the
region highlighted.

So I rephase my opinion to:

 That is simple and intuitive (IMO), at least with CUA mode.