Re: ispell-region with M-$ in transient-mark-mode

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: ispell-region with M-$ in transient-mark-mode
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:40:27 -0600 (CST)

Eli Zaretskii wrote (in response to Juri Linkov);

   > Word commands executed on active regions can be interpreted as
   > commands that should operate on every word in the region.

   I won't expect that, and I think Emacs doesn't have this convention
   anywhere else.

I agree.  Sometimes a numeric argument of 0 is used to indicate
operating on the region, if a zero numeric argument otherwise would
make no sense (like `M-0 C-x a {g,l}').  If we bind C-u M-$ (or M-$
with any numeric argument) to ispell if there is no ispell session to
resume, then there would be very little reason to give a special
meaning to a zero numeric argument to M-$ however, and such a special
meaning could potentially confuse people.  They might then also
believe that M-3 M-$ checked the next three words, M--3 M-$ the
previous three and so on (which we could actually implement, but I
personally do _not_ believe that this would be very useful).

Sincerely,

Luc.