Re: Removing unloaded functions from auto-mode-alist.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Removing unloaded functions from auto-mode-alist.
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:12:30 +0200

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I didn't claim any such thing.  I just pointed out that the only
>> conceivable effect of the aliases in our times is to cause trouble
>> and confusion.  If people need a historic excuse for blaming the
>> bad effects of their current decisions on somebody else, this is
>> fine with me.  Have fun.
>
> I didn't blame anyone, it's just that both tex-mode and TeX-mode are
> natural ways to name the mode for processing TeX input files, independent
> of who is implementing it.

So why don't we have aliases for C-mode, C++-mode, Perl-mode,
Emacs-Lisp-mode, Lisp-mode and so on?

In all of those cases, the proper name of the language in question
would be capitalized.

Why do we desperately need a special alias just in exactly that case
where it really is likely to cause problems?

Again: do you have knowledge of even a single instance where this
alias has been used, promoted, or found convenient for or by as much
as a single person?