Re: org-mode and mode hooks.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: org-mode and mode hooks.
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 01:58:32 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>        *Warning:* Only use a non-`nil' MODE argument when you use
>>     `font-lock-add-keywords' or `font-lock-remove-keywords' in your
>>     `.emacs' file.  When you use these functions from a Lisp
>>     program (such as a minor mode), we recommend that you use `nil'
>>     for MODE (and place the call on a hook) to avoid subtle
>>     problems due to the details of the implementation.
>
>> Why should the keywords not apply to derived modes when set from
>> .emacs, while they have to apply when set from code?  Similar
>> recommendations are repeated, with different wording, all over the
>> place.
>
> Oh, I see.  Sorry for being so dense.  Basically, all it says is
> that a non-nil MODE argument should be avoided, but it is phrased in
> such a way that users shouldn't feel too scared if they use it in
> their .emacs where it can be convenient if the user is intimidated
> by add-hook (and where the possible problems won't be too serious
> since they only affect that one user).

Har har har.

80% of all users use some .emacs that has been hotch-potched together
from various sources.  Their sources are somewhat more likely to have
peeked into the manual.  So if the manual does not recommend
techniques that will break when throwing together initializiation
files, there will be less chaos in need of resolution by Emacs hackers
or sysadmins.