Re: RMAIL settings [was: Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server]

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: RMAIL settings [was: Re: w32 does not have emacsclient/server]
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 23:35:29 +0200

Robert J. Chassell wrote:

Law and social customs that apply to `high initial/high incremental'
cost goods should not be applied to items with low incremental costs.

But they are.

Partly this is because of social and legal inertia.  Partly this is
because people don't know a better way to fund high initial costs.
Many people do not think of companies reducing complementary costs, of
consortiums, of trade associations, of universities, of governments,
and (to go by Aristotle) of individuals' rising wealth as providing
ways to fund high initial cost actions.  And partly this is because
those who profit from charging this kind of high incremental prices
need not themselves pay the whole cost.

I wish you would help more to change laws and social customs that
apply to `high initial/low incremental' cost activities rather than
support, even just a little, inethical laws and social customs.  But I
do not know you or your conditions; only that you are hurting me and
people I know.
Are you really sure that you are telling us something we have not thought about and discussed numerous times? Are you really sure that you are the one of us who have penetrated this area most? Are you really sure you are the one of us who have tried to change this most?
Are you really sure we are not working with this?
Are you really sure you are doing more than we working with this?
Are you really sure that you are not hurting us?

Could you please ask us about if we are with you or against you if that matters to you? You are very welcome to do that. Maybe we should save the list from much of this though.

Maybe you could put up a blog about this? It is important issues and I will do that myself in a while. Maybe you can put up a blog and send us the link? I would be interested and I would try to give you feedback.