Re: Better default values for tooltip padding and `tooltip-hide-delay'?

From: Christian Schlauer
Subject: Re: Better default values for tooltip padding and `tooltip-hide-delay'?
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 20:49:19 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> If a tooltip cannot be read in 10 seconds then it is too long, IMHO.
>
> You're confusing on-the-fly quick help messages and help-echo tooltip
> messages.  Most help-echo messages are meant as on-the-fly quick help
> messages, but it doesn't have to be the case.  They can be used to give some
> extra info instead, in which case they could be fairly long and detailed.

I just have the feeling that most tooltips are so short so that they
can be read in 3 to 4 seconds. Displaying all tooltips for 10 seconds
just because there are some tooltips that are fairly long is not
perfect, IMO. How could this be solved? Personally I'd find it
acceptable to `re-trigger' a long tooltip (by moving the mouse off of
the `trigger element' and on it again) in order to be able to read the
rest of it, but maybe others find that this is bad style.

What about my other suggestion: changing `internal-border-width' of
`tooltip-frame-parameters' to 2 instead of 5? The genereous `padding'
around the tooltips really wastes space on the screen. As I said in my
original message, I think that a tooltip should be a `hint', but the
large padding makes them more like a `banner'. (I don't want to turn
them off either as I think they are quite useful -- they are just a
little too big in my opinion.)

,----
`----

--