Re: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:18:16 +0100

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> 2005/11/11, Robert J. Chassell <address@hidden>:
>>    I would go for just "Keyboard Shortcuts".
>>
>> But that is inaccurate!  They are certainly not shortcuts!  You have
>> to type them!  Perhaps compared to something you type, voice
>> recognition would provide `shortcuts', until voice recognition became
>> common.
>
> I presume the use of "shortcut" in other programs reflects the notion
> that the menu-item is the "primary" method of invocation, and that any
> keybindings are for the use of experts.

Well I don't think this is silly.

In emacs a "keyboard shortcut" could reflect the notion that without
it, you would have to use M-x and spell out the full command name.

E.g. C-x 4 C-f is a shortcut for M-x find-file-other-window RET.

> A phrase like "Keyboard Commands" might be more familar than
> "bindings", without the objectional implication of "shortcuts".

IMO, if we don't like "shortcut", we should stick to the term we
already use (bindings) rather than invent yet another term.