Re: Time to install the new icons

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: Time to install the new icons
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:01:38 -0800

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> 2005/11/17, Chong Yidong <address@hidden>:
>> I find it hard to imagine that anyone would prefer nt/icons/sink.ico,
>> or gnu7.ico, or gnu8.ico, over Andrew Zhilin's professional-looking
>> icon set.
>
> Well... I agree all the "gnu*" icons are pretty lame, but sink.ico has
> a bit of nostalgia value -- it's just a colorized/shrunken version one
> of the very first emacs icons (maybe _the_ first one -- I first saw it
> in the 80s); I guess the original B&W version is what's in
> etc/emacs.{icon,xbm}.

I agree.

One question I have is why are these icons in nt/icons? It seems to me
that etc/images is a better place for emacs.ico. Rather than  litter
etc/images with the old icons, these could go in etc/images/museum or
etc/images/archives or some other reasonably named sub-directory.

I also see images in etc, msdos, etc/tree-widget, and src/bitmaps. It
would be nice if all of these were in etc/images too.

What do people think?

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD