Re: Time to install the new icons

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Time to install the new icons
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 00:59:19 -0500

> Andrew Zhilin's papers came, so we can install his icons.
> Would someone like to do that, and ack?

Since no one else seemed interested in doing this, I have gone ahead
and installed the new Emacs icon as the default frame bitmap icon for
X windows.  The relevant changes have been checked into src/image.c,
src/xterm.c, and src/gnu.h.  The icon itself is in src/gnu.h, as an
xpm string.

This is currently only turned on for

#if defined (HAVE_XPM) && defined (HAVE_X_WINDOWS)

The ugly old icon is still in use otherwise.  I don't know how NT
handles xpm images, so I didn't try.  Could an NT Emacs hacker help
here?

Apart from this, there are two other things that still need to be
done:

1. Install the .ico file for NT (and delete the old unused ones).

2. After the release, we have to tell the various distributions to
   switch to the new Emacs icon in their application menus (in
   /usr/share/icons or whatever).

   It will probably be convenient for this purpose, if we add the new
   icons, in .png format, to etc/ or etc/images.