Re: GTK file selector

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: GTK file selector
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 23:47:05 +0900

    Nick> Exactly.  ISTR that Hrvoje contributed to Emacs development,
    Nick> even though he may not share the whole vision.

He has done so.  As have I, though my name isn't listed in AUTHORS
last I checked.  :-)  And of course my vision is definitely astigmatic.

    Nick> If Aidan chooses to do the same, I am sure that will be
    Nick> welcome too.

My point is that I believe his posts _are_ intended as a contribution,
not just as a defense of his fork-of-choice.  Emacs _is_ losing
mindshare in the explosive growth of computer use, even if the number
of users and developers may still be increasing somewhat, and the
current community is as dedicated as ever.  I think that loss of
mindshare unfortunate, too, though my reasons may be somewhat
different from Aidan's.

The loyal opposition is opposition, of course, but it is nonetheless
loyal.

I believe there's a point where the opposition should shut up, but I
can't fault Aidan if his judgment is that it's not been reached in
this issue yet.  Timing is a little poor, this discussion should come
after the release (like just about everything :-).