Re: Bug, probably related to Custom Themes.

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Bug, probably related to Custom Themes.
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 11:33:16 -0500

    That treats a symptom instead of the _real_ underlying bug.  I have
    already given one more example of a "surface bug" that is caused by
    the same underlying bug: if a setting is set by a theme, the "Erase
    Customization" item of the State Menu is enabled, whereas it should
    not be, because it is not going to have any effect (which is confusing
    to the user, because the State message says and keeps saying:
    "SAVED and set").

That seems right.

I see that Yidong just added a feature to make it display as "THEMED"
instead.  Does that fix this problem?

    What happens is that, since I just set column-number-mode to its
    standard-value, Custom thought that it just had to erase a line in my
    custom-set-variables form (that was not there).  Instead, Custom should
    have written a line in my custom-set-variables form explicitly setting
    column-number-mode to nil, to override my theme.

Indeed, that is a bug.  That part of Custom needs to check for
theme values.

      Obviously whenever Custom checks the value of
    standard-value, a bug is likely to result.

Yes, it seems like we need to check all of those places
and make sure they take account of themes.

Yidong, could you please do that?  Or was this done by the patch
you recently installed?