Re: thumbs.el and transparency

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: thumbs.el and transparency
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 11:44:24 +0100

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     It creates a buffer called *tumme* with thumbnails of all image files
>     in DIR, just like what happens if you mark files in dired and press
>     `C-t d' (`tumme-display-thumbs'), but skipping the dired step, for
>     convenience. A lot of people, including you, seem to have missed this
>     feature from thumbs.el and I wanted to make a quick hack to see if it
>     was possible to do.
>
> That is good.
>
> But I think we should also make it simpler to enter tumme-dired.

I think we are miscommunicating. I just renamed `tumme-dired' to
`tumme-dired-with-window-configuration', because that is what it
basically does, opens dired in the directory specified by the user and
creates the window configuration that *I* think works quite well, but
which there have been discussions about.

The new command `tumme' will work quite well for beginners or users
that seldom use tumme.

I changed C-t d (`tumme-display-thumbs') so that it does
`pop-to-buffer' after having generated the thumbnails. This is quite
useful as the user ends up in the thumbnail buffer where he can then
just move around and press RET to look at the images.

`tumme-display-thumbnail-original-image', which RET is bound to, now
uses `display-buffer' so that the image display buffer opens
automatically in another window.

So, there is no longer any need for setting up that window
configuration for doing simple image browsing, but using one (for
example the one that `tumme-dired-with-window-configuration' sets up)
should still work the same as before.

I think it works quite well now.

I sent you and a couple of "test pilots" the latest code but haven't
got any response from the others yet. I'd rather way til I do before I
make any changes in this area.

/Mathias