Re: ignore mouse-wheel press during rotation

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: ignore mouse-wheel press during rotation
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 11:52:56 -0500

>> > I don't think this is something that can be easily solved by ignoring
>> > certain events, since it is impossible to know the user's real
>> > intention and we are as likely to frustrate the user as help them.
>>
>> We should probably just ignore mouse-[45] events while mouse-2 is pressed
>> (i.e. after down-mouse-2 but before the corresponding mouse-2).

> You mean, to add the complementary code that ignores mouse-[45] after
> mouse-2, like mouse-2 is now ignored after mouse-[45]?

Yes and no: the idea is similar, but I think a different implementation
should be used.

The current code ignores mouse-2 events if they occur shortly after
a mouse-wheel operation.

What I propose does not depend on time: mouse-wheel events should be ignored
for as long as mouse-2 is pressed.  In case you have a drag-like operation
bound to mouse-2 this can make a big difference.

After all, if the accidental mouse-wheel happens before down-mouse-2,
there's no way for us to ignore it (we can't know yet that a down-mouse-2
is coming and the current mwheel-inhibit-click code will actually decide to
ignore the down-mouse-2 event instead).

In my experience involontary wheel events don't happen when I release
the mouse-2 button, but if they do, then yes, maybe mouse-wheel events
should also be ignored for a little while after the mouse-2 release, just
like the current code does for mouse-2-after-mouse-wheel.

        Stefan