Re: Risky local variable mechanism

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Risky local variable mechanism
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 21:58:07 -0600 (CST)

Drew Adams wrote:

   Others have mentioned novice and query-replace questions, as existing
   multiple-choice mechanisms. They don't actually use a single prompt, but
   they do correspond to the need to choose multiple items or answer multiple
   y/n questions.

I have had `enable-local-variables' set to 'query for a long time.
Each time I visit a file with local variables I get ask a simple
y-or-n-p question.  In practice, I personally find this not
excessively inconvenient, even without further fine-tuning.  This could
obviously be fine-tuned substantially, because the question does not
really need to be asked if all variables are known to Emacs to be
perfectly safe.

But if somebody is going to try to help me get rid of this minor
inconvenience by producing a bigger inconvenience, then this is
obviously a bad deal.  So anything that is going to be asked should be
one single relatively simple minibuffer question.  No multiple
questions,  no pop-up window.

Sincerely,

Luc.